I will upload more pictures soon but for now here is one I love. How cute is this of Megan and Luke? The Faire was for the middle schoolers but the elementary kids were invited to come for a shorter time (they share a campus) Luke was excited to be dressed up as a knight although we had a bit of turmoil deciding on the right type of knight (more on that later) He was thrilled to find Megan on the field and to be able to walk around with his big sister. Megan was happy to hold his hand and show him around and she never felt bugged or embarrassed by having her little bro tag along - it warms a mommies heart.About the knight costume...Luke comes home from school with a note saying that the kids should dress up as a princess or knight. For a split second I think I will attempt sewing one but quickly decide against it - costume castle will work. So Luke and I begin talking about the costume. I ask if he would like a certain color, does he want a sword, shield, etc. His reply..."Mrs. Fish says we can dress as a Jedi knight - I want to be a Jedi knight" What? A Jedi knight at a medieval faire. Mind you, I am a huge "stick with the theme" kinda gal. I realize a good, nurturing mom might say "sure honey, if that's what you want to be" and then let her child go on his merry way secure in the fact that his mother trusts him to make decisions on his own. Not happening with me. The thought of sending a jedi to the faire makes my stomach feel sick - a theme is a theme. If you think I am over exaggerating my feelings on this - ask my husband. After more then a few discussions and a bit of crying (told you I wasn't nurturing :) Luke realizes that my mind ain't a changing and agrees to be a knight. If it makes anyone feel better he did love his knight costume and was thrilled to be wearing it. Had he shown up as a jedi I am sure that he would have been scarred for life and would have had a life long aversion to all things Star Wars. See, I helped him - maybe I am a nurturing mother after all.

No comments:
Post a Comment