9.13.2007

time to get serious

I know, I know, I keep saying that I will update this blog yet days go by with no new posts. Now I really need to buckle down and update because my blog class is in a week. I need help with something...can anyone tell me how I can link all the blogs I read daily and get an update on who has updated their blogs? Did I even word that right? I believe there is a way to see on one page who has updated and who hasn't. Is this true? It would lessen the amount of time I spend catching up on everyone's life and I would like to share it with my class. Anyone? Anyone?

4 comments:

Deanne said...

Hmmm. I'm not sure. That would be helpful. I'll look into it!

Anonymous said...

I know that Brian knows how to do it, so maybe ask him? I can tell you what I do, but it is user-specific. I use an RSS feed. If you use FireFox (rather than Internet Explorer), when you are on a blogsite, look to the far right of the address line and you will see a square orange button with white arcs inside it. If you click on that you can "subscribe" to the blog - since I use Google, I choose that, and then I select Google Reader. I have Google Homepage as the homepage for my internet, so when I open the internet I see the weather report, local news, my email, and (of course) my blog feed. I don't know if that helps, but there you go!

Jodi said...

I know you can type it in to the "search" bar at the Blogger homepage and it will give you that info. I will try it and get back with you!

Brian said...

I do it basically the same way Janae does. I use the RSS feeds from all of the blogs I read and read them in an "RSS Agregator" (or "RSS Reader"). I don't know why they needed such a fancy name, but that's what you can search for to find a program you like.

Google Reader is a nice one that is on the web. You go to www.google.com/reader and log in if it asks you to. Then all of the blogs you have registered are there and it highlights the ones that you haven't read yet. If they are blogger.com blogs, you do just what Janae said: go to the bottom of the blog, and click on the "Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)" link. It should give you some option to add it to your Google Reader account. (To use these in another aggregator, right-click on the link, "copy link location" and paste it into the aggregator you use).

There are lots of other RSS Agregators out there too. I use one on my Mac called NewsFire. Unfortunately that one isn't free, but I think there are a bunch that are (more for Windows, probably).

I've collected a bunch of the Baker blogs together, which you can "export" to a file and "import" into any aggregator like Google Reader. Let me know if you'd like that file and any help using it!