Megan and I were walking out the door last night to get her to Mutual when the phone rang. It was one of the young women telling Megan that all the girls were going to wear 80's clothes. First of all, it was about 4 minutes to seven and mutual starts at 7 - "How are we going to pull this off?", I wonder.
Second, why are my kids dressing up like the 80's? You are supposed to dress up in outfits from really old eras. It's fun to be a 50's girl, or a flapper from the 30's (is that even the right time frame for a flapper?), how about a 60's hippie or you can push it a little bit with a disco diva from the 70's but the 80's?!?! I'm not old enough to have my era be for dressing up.
That being said, we pulled together a fairly decent valley girl in about 3 minutes. Leggings, check. High ratted side pony complete with big bow, check. Now this hairdo could have been improved with more time. It needed to be crimped and the bangs...we all know those needed a ton more height to them. Somewhat decent belt, check. I would have preferred a huge leather, studded one but hey you do what you got to do in 3 minutes. No big belt should be without a big blouse so I pulled out of my closet a vintage (is it really old enough to be vintage?) Tears for Fears concert t-shirt, circa 1985. I suddenly became very possessive of this bit of fashion history and basically made Megan swear on her life that my shirt would not be harmed in anyway. She was good to go. Granted with a few more accessories she would have been tubular...bangles for the wrist - black rubber ones, thank you Madonna. Big cheapo plastic earrings. Some cute red jellies. Oh, those awesome 80's fashions.

No comments:
Post a Comment