3.02.2009

blogger protocol

So tell me this...what do you do when you see a friends blog on the blog roll of someone's blog and when you click on the link you find out it is private?  Do you email the friend/acquaintance to ask if you can visit their blog or do you assume that if they wanted you to read their blog they would have already invited you?  I'm perplexed.  

It feels a bit forward to ask to be included especially since the insecure voices in my head are screaming, "Denise, they probably don't like you and don't want you nosing in on their business." On the other hand maybe they haven't invited me because their insecure voices (assuming they have them) are saying "Denise probably doesn't care to read about what is going on with your family and life."  For the record...I love reading peoples blogs - I think it helps folks feel closer and more in touch (in a impersonal world wide web sort of way - confusing, I know)  

So if you like me at all (even just a little bit) I'd love to be invited to read your blogs.


12 comments:

Katie said...

I totally agree with you. I hate that situation... especially when you are so excited to have found someone's blog that you've lost touch with and then you don't really have a when to contact them to ask to be invited. I also hat e the way blogger words it... it makes it sound almost snotty. I think blogger needs to change it so that you can send a request to be invited to the blog owner (kind of like facebook).

janae said...

I would email them and ask them. I can't see why they'd be offended. I get emails from cousins ALL THE TIME asking for me to ask Lyndi and Asialene to send them invites. And neither of them has ever cared. But I must say I agree with the comment above - there should be a way for you to send an invite request through blogger.

Cara said...

Ask away. I think it's fine. Who wouldn't want to be friends with you anyways? :)

Gentry Fam said...

I just flat out ask to be invited. Perhaps I am rude. Oh well.

Mique (as in Mickey) said...

Denise- you can read mine. Even if it was private I'd invite you to read it. ;)

Brenda said...

I say ask. I like you, and I invited you to read my blog. However, there are a lot of people I like but didn't invite simply because I didn't have their email address at-the-ready in my computer when I sent out blog invites. It was simply a path-of-least-resistance moment rather than a thought out decision. I also only sent out a few blog invites because (this may shock you) sometimes I am shy . . . and sometimes I am socially retarded. Did I mention that I am socially retarded and socially retarded and socially retarded? I'm sure you get my point. :)

Cati said...

I doubt you are talking about my private blog, but I just sent you an invitation to view it. As I was setting up my blog a few months ago, I happened to click the "next" button while viewing a friends public blog and I ended up on a woman's blog who lived in Turkey, and she had pictures of her kids and talked about how cute they were...I just didn't want someone to come upon my blog the same way. I'm happy to have anyone I know asked to be invited to see it...well almost anyone :)

Deanne said...

I have the same argument in my head all the time! There was an acquaintance from high school that announced that her blog was going private, and if you wanted to be invited, to e-mail her. I e-mailed, she went private, I wasn't invited. It has made me a little more shy about it! Um...I probably shouldn't have shared and added to your anxiety about the whole situation. I still think you should ask. Who knows, maybe that high school acquaintance never got my e-mail (that's what I'm believing, anyway!) I really don't think I've done anything that would want her NOT to let me see into her life! I'm sure anyone would be glad to have to as a reader!

Deanne said...

oops. That last line should read..."I'm sure anyone would be glad to have YOU as a reader."

pati-Sue said...

You can read our blog--for you it might be a good way to fall asleep. I do enjoy your blog, though. Make it a great day!
pati-Sue Ashcraft

Amy said...

thanks for the comment about my house! your family is beautiful!

The Jensen Family said...

I love reading your blog! If you would like to see ours, email me at mattandkeri@gmail.com and i will send you an invite!

-Matt and Kerilyn Jensen