11.14.2007

rounding the corner to the backyard

This is what the backyard looked like. We ended up fitting nine long tables in the back and if we needed to we probably could have fit a couple more. This was the first time we had the Halloween party since our yard had been redone so I was a bit nervous about how it would all fit but it ended up working really well.

We went with long tables instead of round because I thought they lent themselves to more of a mansion type, family dining feeling. I used white tableclothes with black lace overlays that I shredded up a bit. My friend Max found the lace in LA for a $1.00 a yard - tell me that's not a great deal?!?!


I rented the chairs from a local rental business and was so pleased with how they looked. I am not a hug fan of plastic chairs but the design on the backs of these particular chairs helped to create more of a Victorian feel. One of the things about parties is being able to go with the flow and your budget. Would I have loved ornate wooden chairs - you bet, but my budget wouldn't allow it so I went with the best thing that I could afford and I think I still got a great look.

So my big splurge was these candelabras. Is it wrong to be in love with an object? I love these beauties. I found them at Z Gallerie and knew I had to have them. I rationalized this purchase by telling myself that our plan is to do this Victorian theme every other year so I will get plenty of use out of them. I may even use them for Christmas because I love them that much.

Keep in mind that all these shots were taken during set up so if you see missing silverware or whatever it's because we were not done. Also, I need to make a plug for lighting. It was dark when guests arrived and the party took on a whole different look when candles were lit on the tables and surrounding areas and other lights were glowing. Never forget lighting when planning a party.

No comments: